Tuesday, May 12, 2009

OK...finally!

Alright, Alright. I'm finally updating the blog! Soooo much has happened in the past 2 months, it's almost overwhelming to write about. So, I'm going to start posting from way back in April and hopefully post every couple of days until I'm caught up.
For spring break we were graced with the presence of my wonderful in laws!!! Coach and Melinda spent a whole week with us! I was so happy that they chose sacrifice their precious time off from work to fly all the way out here just to sleep in a crowded apartment (because we hadn't got the house yet) and on the floor (again dad, sooo sorry). We knew they would be kind of tired from flying and the time change so wejust took it easy the first day they were here.
Beautiful La Jolla Cove
We definitely stayed pretty busy the rest of the time! One of the cool things we always do when visitors come is go to La Jolla Cove. It is very beautiful there and we were so fortunate to live just 2 blocks away. It was pup season for the seals so there were little baby ones all over the beach and playing in the water. Bowen makes fun of me whenever I see "baby" animals because I always say their "Mason size". ha ha!
See the babies?
Afterwards we went to the park right around the corner. Mason LOOOOOVES to swing and is still getting used to the rest of the park toys. We had fun laughing at him and cheering him on as discovered all of the exciting toys.
Bowen did have to work a couple of the days they were here, but that didn't stop us from seeing some attractions. One afternoon we met him downtown for lunch at a little Mexican restaurant. I had eaten there before and wasn't too excited about going there again. But, it was a whole lot better than I remembered. Afterwards we went and toured the ginormous aircraft carrier, The Midway. It was pretty awesome. I honestly don't know how sailors live on ships. I couldn't do it I'd be so claustrophobic! Some of the guys that were working there used to sail on that ship. It was neat to hear their stories they told about when they were sailing.
Oh ya---so here's a funny little story.
Placed throughout the ship there are mannequins that show different jobs that were done to make the ship run smoothly. Well, we were walking by the mail room when I happened to glance at the "fake" mailman. All of a sudden HE MOVED!!!!!! "Hello", was all he said. OH MY GOODNESS! I am not one that gets startled very easily, but that freaked me out! I let out a scream and hit the counter and shouted "You can't do that!!!" It's a good thing he was behind the glass, because I probably would've smacked him! I think i scared everyone near by as well. Needless to say, we all got a good laugh out of it. Good job fake mailman guy!
Mom and Coach on top of the Midway
Another day we spent up at the base. The girls went shopping and the boys went golfing. Perfect. I think Coach is hooked on the golf thing...minus the injury he sustained. I hope his arm gets better soon!
FOUR!!!
When you come to San Diego you have to spend at least one day at the beach. Not only did we do that, but Coach decided he wanted to go surfing for his first time. Oh how exciting! He's such a natural athlete I wasn't worried a bit. Plus, Bowen is a great teacher so that was a plus!
Getting ready to hang ten!
Yep, that's coach catching a wave!!! Woot woot!
All done and tuckered out.
Pro surfer!
Like I said, we kept really busy. On another evening we ventured out to east county to go to the shooting range. How fun! I didn't do very well at all, but of course Dad was amazing and hardly missed a one :)
The boys and their guns.
One of our newest toys and super conveniences was a baby backpack. Mason was super excited!
Although we weren't in our house yet, they wanted to help us get the things we needed to make our house a home. Thank you, thank you, thank you for everything!!! I cannot tell you how much we appreciated all that you've given us! We had such a great time and were very touched you that you came to visit! Come back soon!

3 comments:

kkrich said...

fun fun family! can't believe your pops caught a wave his first time, so cool!

Shayla Finlinson said...

Oh looks like a great time.. Mason huge smile is so so cute.. ha ha you should post pictures of your new place...

Unknown said...

Shaelyn and Bowen!!! Oh my goodness!!! MASON is ADORABLE!!! I loved reading your blog! Ya- and crazy that your papa caught a wave right off the bat! I know from experience you guys are great teachers!!! I miss you guys and glad you are doing well! I am glad I can keep up on your fam through this blog! Loves!

Mason just waking up for the day