Sunday, August 30, 2009

Some updates

I've found that I always write about events that we've done, and never update on what's going on in our day to day lives. I know not everyone wants to know these insignificant things, but this blog is kind of like a journal to me. I feel it's important to write these things down.
Bowen has been the Young Men's President at church for a couple months now. He really enjoys it and I think the boys really look up to and respect him. He's currently studying to take his LSAT and hopefully get into Law School this upcoming year. We both hope that he gets into a School here in San Diego. If not, we'll worry about those details when they arise :o) He's still working at NASSCO in the ship building industry. He's working on his second ship as an Area Manager. It's set to launch in February so the closer it gets to that, the busier he is. He likes the guys he works with so that makes it enjoyable to be there. He balances all that he has going on so well! Bowen is a phenomenal husband and father. He loves his family so much. The other day he and Mason were at the park. There were a couple kids playing soccer, so Mason went right over to them and tried to play. This struck a tender spot in Bowens heart. He can't wait to coach his little boy in sports. It's what he was meant to do!
I recently got called to be a Beehive advisor for the Young Women at church. Heidi is also a teacher with me, so we trade off teaching every other week. I've only taught once so far, but I already love being there. The girls are so sweet. I hope that I'll be able to reach out to them and be an example. Since we moved from the apartments into our house, I had to give up my property management job. So now I'm a full time mommy! I'm still learning all the places to go and things to do in our area. Mason and I are always on an adventure.
Speaking of Mason, he's developing such a sense of humor. He knows when he's being funny and will keep doing whatever he's doing. Such as, putting his hands over his mouth and blowing so that it makes a zurbert noise. He can successfully climb on and off the couch, but can only climb up stairs. He know where his eyes, nose, mouth, piggies (toes), and belly button are. Without teaching him, he's discovered where his little man part is as well. He can say Mom, Dad, dog, no, tree, shoe, yes, and Heidi. He loves bugs, leaves, sticks, balls, trucks, and mud. Can you tell he's a boy?!? He also loves books and singing the ABC's, Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam, and counting to 5. He mimics the tune of the ABC's (ay ay ay dee dee awr awr) and can count to three (duh doo chee), but only when he wants. I love my little boy so much! I only hope that I can be a good mom and teach him to do what's right. I hope that he'll be strong in the church and be a great leader like his daddy.

The other day, Mason put on my shoes and thought it was pretty cool. He walked around in them for as long as he could before they fell off. Then he proceeded to whine at me until I put them back on him.

We went to the beach on Saturday with the Hachtman's and Galbasini's. The kids had fun playing in the water and sand and we had a good time just visiting and soaking up the sun. All the kids tried a bit a surfing. Mason wasn't to thrilled with the idea, but started to enjoy it towards the end.

There are a few couples with kid(s) in our ward that don't have any family here to use as babysitters. It's kind of a stretch to go out on a date then have to come home and pay a babysitter. So, thanks to Jackie putting it together, we've come up with co op babysitting. We and 2 other families take turns watching each others kids on Friday (or whatever day) nights. This allows us about 2 days a month to go out on a date baby free. Woot woot! It seems to work well and it's nice for the kids to get together and play. I'm sure we'll continue this as long as possible.

This was our date night on Friday. We picked up Heidi and Gordon and went bowling at the Navy base on Coronado. I love the benefits of being military! Not only was it super cheap, but there was hardly anyone there! We had a good time just hanging out.

I love our house. It's been so nice to call it home. Even though it's still pretty small, it feels huge compared to our last place. We've definitely felt the pains of paying a mortgage every month though. It's been something that will still take some time to get used to. Clipping coupons and shopping on a strict budget while trying to get our food storage up to where it needs to be is just part of my weekly agenda. One thing that we've been trying to do (now that we have the room) is have a different family from the ward come over each week. It doesn't always work every week, but we do our best. It's nice to be able to get to know each other better and develop relationships with people we may have never gotten to know. I hope that our home can be a place of peace that others would want to be.
We've both been making a conscious effort to get in to better shape. Surfing is a good workout, but I need to do more. Mason thinks it's hilarious when you work out and tries to do what you're doing. The other day he was working out with Bowen attempting to do push ups and stretches.
We decided to cancel our cable so now we have no television channels. We both felt like we needed to be doing other things other than wasting our time watching TV. Even though I didn't watch that much of it anyway, my day seems so much more productive. I'm able to think clearer and accomplish more. I only hope Bowen will be able to survive football season! Our home seems calmer too, so for now, this is what works.

2 comments:

Osburn said...

I love the pictures and videos and updates!!! Sounds like life is going great!!

kkrich said...

too bad my hubs fed the football need. i hate tv, i wish dave would let me cancel it.

Mason just waking up for the day