Monday, March 1, 2010

Mom and Ethan, the rest of their trip.

Mom had never been to Ikea so we woke up bright and early Friday morning and headed there. I love Ikea but I must admit, it's a bit overwhelming to shop there with a 1 1/2 year old screaming the whole time. We had gotten a few things, but Mase had had it and we were supposed to meet Bowen for lunch downtown. So I just left our cart sitting there full of stuff and walked out.
This picture is very misleading. He was NOT all smiles the whole time.
After our brief adventure there we met Bowen for lunch. His work is getting super strict about the length of lunch breaks, so all too soon he had to head back to work. It was nice, though, to see him for that short little bit.
It nearing nap time so we headed back home. I'd been watching the Casa Linda Apartments while Heidi and Gordon were on Vacation. It was nice playing manager again :) Anyway, Mom and Ethan were nice enough to stay home with the Mase while I went and got some work done there. Thank again! I was even able to go the the grocery store. It's amazing how fast you can shop when you don't have an extra set of hands grabbing at things as you go down the isle!!!
When Bowen got home from work we got ready and headed out again. I had been wanting to go to the newly redone Mormon Battalion in Old Town so that's where we were headed. But first we stopped by USD to show Mom and Ethan where Bowen is going to school this fall. I'm so excited for him! This is a goal that he's had for such a long time and it's finally starting to become a reality!
This is the building where he will spend the next 4 years of his life
So after we drove around the campus we headed to Old Town. I don't know what it is about this little place, but I love it! Its so historic and there is always something going on. I knew the Mormon Battalion would be closing soon so we went there first. Let me just say, if you haven't been there and you get the opportunity to go, GO. It was so cool! There's a few surprises along the tour but I won't give them away. Plus, it's free so you can't beat that!
I don't even know who this statue is, but we were tourists, so we had to get a picture by it! Our group was pretty small and Ethan was the only young man there. He was quickly volunteered by all of us to be the one that got all dressed up like a soldier from the battalion. I think he thought that was pretty cool, especially when they handed him the gun that was taller than he was! Outside there was a place you could pan for gold, make oven fired adobe bricks, and pump water from a well. Mason loved doing them all!
There is a little restaurant called Cafe Coyote that sells fresh homemade tortillas on the street for super cheap. You dress them with either homemade salsa or butter and sugar. I had been craving them all day and oh my goodness they were good!

Everyone enjoyed their tortillas very much!

This was another restaurant where you could watch them making the tortillas too.

It had been such a long day but we had one more stop to go. We stopped by the Sears outlet center. Our washer and dryer were on it's way out and we desperately needed new ones. Thank you to an angel (well, two angels) we were able to get some machines that I hope will last us a very long time. I can't describe how grateful I am!
We were still all full from our little snack but we all still had room for some Yogurtland. I know, I'm an addict and I don't care. Ethan thought it was the neatest thing that you could dispense your own fro yo and add whatever toppings you wanted. I think he put every flavor and topping that would fit in that cup.
After such a long day we pretty much fell into bed that night. What a day!
Saturday morning was the launch of Bowens ship. It is part of the TAKE Explorer class of cargo ships for the Navy. We woke up early that morning to the wonderful sound of pouring rain. "Oh boy," I thought, "this is going to be interesting." Bowen had to leave earlier and we were going to meet him downtown. I ran outside to pull the car up to the house, but it wouldn't start. It was completely dead. I tried everything I could think of to get it started but nothing worked. Nobody was out and about that early...especially since it was raining so bad. After much distress we got a ride from a guy from church. We had arrived just in time to see the ship back out of port. We'd missed the ceremony, but at least we made it for the best part. I did feel bad mom and Ethan had missed it though. We did get a few pictures and quickly headed back to the car.

This is Bowens boss, Jason.

Here's Ethan sporting his fancy garbage bag poncho. Woot woot!

Outside the shipyard

On our way back to the car

AJ is in SD for the month and Holly had come out to visit him for the weekend. They had showed up for the launch but barely missed it. After a brief hello we all decided that we'd go to breakfast and try to warm up and dry off a bit.

By the time we were done with breakfast the rain had subsided a bit. Thank goodness! We took AJ and Holly back the the hotel and headed home. After resting from our eventful morning we got ready to go to a birthday party for one of Bowens friends kids. I kind of didn't want to go at first and made a stink about it, but I figured what else were we going to do? I'm glad we did go because it turned out to be a fun afternoon.

Sunday was beautiful. I love San Diego after it rains because everything is so beautiful, green, and clean! After church we drove to the top of Mt. Soledad to the lookout. You can see pretty much all of San Diego from there. Mason was just happy to get out and run around on the grass.

Over looking La Jolla Cove Family picture! This is one of Masons newest picture poses. What a ham!

Ethan had asked to see the temple so that's where we headed next. It's always beautiful but it was especially white and beautiful next to the blue, blue sky. We had such a great time with them here! As always the visit was much too short and I wish we could've done a few more things while they were here. We already miss them and can't wait until we see them again! Thank you! Love you!!!

1 comments:

Karolina said...

Sounds like fun! I would really like to go to San Diego one day.

Mason just waking up for the day